Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month Observed in May
It is essential for all Oklahoma motorists to share the road responsibly. Sadly, many motorcyclists are injured or killed because of the negligence of a driver. To help reduce the number of motorcycle accidents, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is promoting May as Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month.
There are a number of tips provided by the NHTSA to motorcycle riders and drivers to reduce the number of fatal collisions.
- Ride sober: NHTSA reports that the percentage of intoxicated motorcycle riders in fatal accidents is greater than the percentage of intoxicated drivers.
- Always wear a helmet: Wearing a helmet saved 1,829 motorcyclists in the year 2008. Helmets help reduce the severity of head injuries and they do not interfere with vision or hearing.
- Obey right-of-way laws: Motorcyclists are given the same rights and privileges as motor vehicles under the law.
- Avoid blind spots: It would be in the best interests of motorcyclists to make themselves visible and for car drivers to check their blind spots before changing lanes or making a turn.
- Stay alert: Individuals who are driving while distracted are more likely to fail to see a motorcycle until it is too late.
- Use turn signals: It is important for all drivers and motorcyclists to use hand signals when changing lanes and merging with traffic to make sure that motorists see them.
- Allow plenty of space: Remain about three or four seconds behind the vehicle in front of you. This will help you avoid rear-end collisions.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle crash, an experienced Oklahoma personal injury lawyer can help you better understand your legal rights and options. Injured victims and families of deceased victims can seek compensation for their injuries, damages, and losses.
- Auto Accident
- Auto Accident Wrongful Death
- Bus Crash
- Car Accident Death
- Car Accident Injury
- Dangerous Products
- Distracted Driver
- Firm News
- Insurance/Bad Faith
- Intersection Accidents
- Law & Information
- Local Places and Events
- Motorcycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident
- Product Liability
- Rideshare Accidents
- Toyota Recall
- Truck Collision
- Uninsured Motorist Accident
- Wrongful Death
- All About Moped and Scooter Accidents
- Can a Car Accident Make Me Lose My Driver’s License?
- Car Care Awareness Month Tips
- It’s Always Distracted Driving Month!
- The Dangers of Emotional Driving
Don’t Wreck Twice
You’ve Already Wrecked Your Car, Now DON’T Wreck Your Case! Get your FREE instant download to learn EXACTLY what you need to do so that you don’t wreck twice!Download Now