New Oklahoma Tort-Reform Affects Awarding of Damages to Injured Accident Victims
Mary Fallin, the governor of Oklahoma, recently signed three bills that would change the state’s civil justice system, according to TimesUnion.com. While supporters of the bills, which become law on November 1, believe that they will benefit the local business climate, opponents believe that these reforms put business and insurance interests ahead of injured Oklahomans.
The 3 proposed civil justice reform bills would affect a civil lawsuit in the following ways:
- A cap of $350,000 is imposed on pain and suffering damages awarded to injured victims. The cap does not apply towards damages awarded for lost income or medical expenses. The court has the authority to lift the cap in the case of a defendant who acted with reckless disregard, gross negligence, or malicious conduct;
- Defendants are prevented from being forced to pay more in damages than the amount determined by the jury; and
- Jurors in civil cases must be told that awards are not subject to federal or state income taxes.
The measurable effects of these bills on the Oklahoma civil justice system have yet to be determined; however, these changes will affect Oklahoma accident victims. Laws change, can have loopholes, and may benefit one side over the other, but an injured victim does not have to worry about any of these if they consult with a knowledgeable Oklahoma City personal injury attorney.
If you or a loved one has been injured in an accident in Oklahoma, the trusted personal injury lawyers of Maples Law Firm, LLP, can provide you with the legal guidance you need. We have a critical understanding of all civil law and believe all Oklahoma accident victims deserve full compensation for what they have suffered. Find out about your case today; call us for a free consultation at 1-888-226-6159.
- Auto Accident
- Auto Accident Wrongful Death
- Bus Crash
- Car Accident Death
- Car Accident Injury
- Dangerous Products
- Distracted Driver
- Firm News
- Insurance/Bad Faith
- Intersection Accidents
- Law & Information
- Local Places and Events
- Motorcycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident
- Product Liability
- Rideshare Accidents
- Toyota Recall
- Truck Collision
- Uninsured Motorist Accident
- Wrongful Death
- All About Moped and Scooter Accidents
- Can a Car Accident Make Me Lose My Driver’s License?
- Car Care Awareness Month Tips
- It’s Always Distracted Driving Month!
- The Dangers of Emotional Driving
Don’t Wreck Twice
You’ve Already Wrecked Your Car, Now DON’T Wreck Your Case! Get your FREE instant download to learn EXACTLY what you need to do so that you don’t wreck twice!Download Now