Life-Saving Measures in Car Accidents
2016 had the most motor vehicle accident fatalities in the last nine years, with over 40,000 deaths. The NSC is encouraging vehicle operators to implement their own life-saving measures to prevent car accident fatalities on our roads.
Some of the life-saving measures that the NSC has suggested include:
- Mandatory ignition interlock devices in vehicles of convicted DUI offenders.
- More electronic speed enforcement devices.
- Rigid laws and penalties to prevent mobile device use while driving.
- Stronger enforcement of seat belt laws.
- New safety technologies, including lane departure warnings and blind-spot monitoring.
- Greater funding for local emergency first responders.
Save Your Own Life (Maybe)
Drivers can better prepare for an emergency by maintaining adequate supplies, including:
- Bottled water and food: Good snack options include an energy bar, trail mix, or dried fruit.
- Wool blanket and water poncho: Wool is durable and can still be used if damp. Another option is an emergency space blanket, which is a metal-coated plastic sheet often used by marathon runners. A waterproof poncho with a hood is also good.
- Sources of light: A flashlight, matches, glow sticks, and road flares for possible roadside use.
- Mobile phone: With 12-volt charger.
- A basic first aid kit which includes:
- Eyewash cup
- Duct tape
- Nausea medication
- Basic tool kit: Pliers, screwdriver, gloves, etc.
- Auto supplies: Plastic gas can, jumper cables, aerosol tire repair product (fix-a-flat type), and tire gauge.
- Shovel: Just in case your vehicle becomes stuck.
- Fire extinguisher.
- Insect repellant.
- Prescribed medication.
- Small amount of currency and coins.
There is never a convenient time for a traffic accident. If you’re hurt and have questions or need legal advice, contact Car Accident Help at (405) 285-4357. You will speak with an experienced attorney who has secured some of the largest verdicts and settlements on behalf of Oklahoma injury victims.
- Auto Accident
- Auto Accident Wrongful Death
- Bus Crash
- Car Accident Death
- Car Accident Injury
- Dangerous Products
- Distracted Driver
- Firm News
- Insurance/Bad Faith
- Intersection Accidents
- Law & Information
- Local Places and Events
- Motorcycle Accident
- Pedestrian Accident
- Product Liability
- Rideshare Accidents
- Toyota Recall
- Truck Collision
- Uninsured Motorist Accident
- Wrongful Death
- All About Moped and Scooter Accidents
- Can a Car Accident Make Me Lose My Driver’s License?
- Car Care Awareness Month Tips
- It’s Always Distracted Driving Month!
- The Dangers of Emotional Driving
Don’t Wreck Twice
You’ve Already Wrecked Your Car, Now DON’T Wreck Your Case! Get your FREE instant download to learn EXACTLY what you need to do so that you don’t wreck twice!Download Now