Whether you’re driving solo, with a group of friends, or with family, there is nothing quite like embarking on a road trip in the summer. It’s prime time for Oklahoma motorists to take advantage of the warmer weather and set out on a fun and exciting journey. However, with more people sharing the road and longer amounts of time spent behind the wheel, the chances of being involved in a car accident automatically increases.
Should your summer road trip turn disastrous because of a negligent driver causing a traffic collision, it’s important to be treated for your injuries right away and then contact an experienced car accident lawyer who can advise you on your options for seeking restitution.
Common Causes of Road Trip Accidents
Road trip accidents have the potential to take place for a variety of reasons, but there are a few that are more common than others.
- Fatigue – It takes a great deal of focus and energy to operate a vehicle for long periods of time. Many people become extremely fatigued after staring at the road for hours on end. Driving fatigued and falling asleep at the wheel is just as dangerous as driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Insufficiently Maintained Vehicles – Cars require regular maintenance to ensure all their parts and pieces remain in good working order. Failure to provide a vehicle with proper care or having it thoroughly inspected before a long road trip often results in a breakdown.
- Distracted Driving – When traveling with other people, it’s easy to get distracted by what’s going on in the car and lose concentration on the road. There is also the tendency to concentrate more on navigation systems and try to break up the monotony of driving by diverting attention elsewhere.
Staying Safe On Your Summer Road Trip
Though car accidents can occur at any time because of the negligence of another driver, it’s still important to do what you can to stay safe before venturing out on a road trip. There are several steps you can take to prevent a collision from occurring because of carelessness on your part.
- Get plenty of sleep at night before continuing on each day, and stop every now and then to stretch your legs and rest your eyes. If possible, switch drivers periodically.
- On your vehicle, have all fluid levels checked, belts, hoses, and brake system inspected, cooling system tested, and tires examined. Also, make sure you have a good spare tire handy.
If you experienced a car accident on your summer road trip through no fault of your own that resulted in serious injuries, the Oklahoma attorneys at Car Accident Help will provide you with expert legal counsel on what to do next. Call today at (405) 285-4357 and they will listen to your account of what took place, carefully assess all the evidence, and put together a strong case so that you can collect the compensation you deserve.