Have you been seriously injured in a catastrophic car accident in Oklahoma?

Our Car Accident Help site is designed to be a one-stop source for anyone who has suffered serious personal injuries in a car crash. It is also a helpful resource for someone whose loved one has been injured in a serious Oklahoma car crash. Speak to one of our representatives at (405) 285-4357 if you have any questions, or fill out our form to get your free, instant, no obligation accident analysis. We have Oklahoma car accident attorneys on staff who know the law and can defend your rights.

How to Determine Fault for an Oklahoma Car Accident

Whose Fault Is It And Why Does It Matter?

In any multi-vehicle car accident, there may be one or more drivers who can be considered "at fault," legally. What does this mean if you were injured in an OK car accident? What role does fault play?

Believe it or not, the concept of fault is essential in Oklahoma. The person who is deemed to be "at fault" is legally considered liable or responsible for the accident. It also directly affects how much or even whether an injured party is entitled to recover in terms of damages under a theory of "modified comparative negligence." This means that if, for example, two drivers back into each other, neither one of them looking in their rear-view mirrors, both may be seen as 50% responsible for the accident. Under such a circumstance, neither would legally be permitted to pursue a claim against the other.

If on the other hand, one driver was operating under the influence and the other failed to properly use his or her turn signal or was in some other minor way "at fault," the driver who was less than 50% responsible for the accident would be able to recover an amount representing his proportionate responsibility. So, if the under the influence driver was found 80% at fault, and the other driver 20%, that second driver would be able to recover 80% of his or her damages. The remaining 20% would be deemed his or her responsibility.

What Does "Fault" Really Mean In A Car Accident?

The word "fault" in a legal sense really refers to the concept of negligence. As drivers, we all bear responsibility for the safety not only of our passengers, but for other vehicles on the road, pedestrians, motorcyclists, etc. That responsibility means we have to use reasonable care and reasonable precautions to follow the rules of the road. In practical terms, that means drivers may be required to:

  • Adhere to posted speed limits
  • Not drive under the influence
  • Wear (and have their passengers wear) seatbelts
  • Follow all posted traffic signs and signals
  • Respect the right of way of other drivers
  • Not engage in any illegal or irresponsible driving behaviors
  • Maintain a safe distance between vehicles
  • Drive safely under the existing weather conditions
  • Use headlights and turn signals properly

Basically, drivers have to follow the rules of the road and keep themselves and others safe. Any failure to do so may be construed as "fault" and preclude a driver from recovering damages to the extent of his or her responsibility.

So What Should You Do After An OK Car Accident?

If you are involved in a car accident in Oklahoma, there are some steps you are absolutely required to take whether you believe you were at fault or not:

  1. You MUST stop at the scene of the accident. Leaving the scene can result in criminal charges.
  2. Get medical assistance for anyone who needs it.
  3. Call the police and fill out a police report. This will require you to exchange information such as driver’s licenses, insurance, and other important contact info.
  4. Gather evidence if at all possible. Take photographs of the accident scene, get contact information for witnesses, and be certain to get photos of any vehicle damage.
  5. Do NOT discuss fault at the scene. Fault is a legal concept that is best discussed with an attorney.

Whether or not your actions were potentially "at fault" is a legal question best investigated by professionals. Contact Car Accident Help sponsored by Maples, Nix, and Diesselhorst for advice and counsel at (405) 285-4357.

Related Links

Don't Wreck Twice

You've Already Wrecked Your Car, Now DON'T Wreck Your Case! Get your FREE instant download to learn EXACTLY what you need to do so that you don't wreck twice!

Download Now

Don't Wreck Twice

You've Already Wrecked Your Car, Now DON'T Wreck Your Case! Get your FREE instant download to learn EXACTLY what you need to do so that you don't wreck twice!
Download Now

Getting Support for Your Car Accident

The period after a serious car collision can be devastating and chaotic for crash victims and their families. This is the time when you can use all the support and resources you can get. The team at Car Accident Help are committed to providing you with the information and resources you need during these challenging times. If there are any questions you may have or want to know your legal rights, contact us today for a free initial evaluation to see if you have a case.

Find out if you have a case

Who We Are

The team at CarAccidentHelp.com created this site to provide a resource to those who have just been in a serious or catastrophic accident and need someone on their side. The insurance companies are not looking out for your best interests and you need an advocate who knows the laws in Oklahoma and will fight for you. We help you figure out if filing a lawsuit is right for your situation, and connect you with lawyers who can determine if you have a case.

Car Accident Help
15401 N. May Avenue
Suite 900
Edmond, OK 73013
Call: (405)-285-4357

Sponsored by:

© 2024 Car Accident Help - Serving cities throughout Oklahoma.

OKC Traffic Accident Attorney Disclaimer: This web site is designed to provide educational information. The injury information contained in this web site is not intended to offer legal advice. Information contained in this web site is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice, to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with Car Accident Help, or any employees thereof, will generate an attorney client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. Any reference in this web site to past results for clients obtained by Car Accident Help, including reference to the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, does not guarantee that similar outcomes will be achieved for future cases. Each case is different, and must be evaluated and handled based on its individual attributes and merits.

Disclaimer | Website Design, SEO and Legal Marketing by: The AMG Team